Voronezh State Agrarian University was founded in 1912 and named after Emperor Peter the Great. Therefore, Federal State Budgetary Educational Institution of Higher Professional Education, Voronezh State Agricultural University is the oldest academic institution in the Central Black Earth economic region and the second largest agricultural academic institution after Moscow State Agricultural Academy named after K.A.Timiryazev.
The establishment of Voronezh State Agricultural University laid the foundation of Agricultural Academic Institutions Development Project in the Russian Empire.
The architectural complex of the campus was designed by Adam Dietrich, and 7 objects of the university architectural complex are currently regarded as cultural property sites.
After the October revolution 1917 the University was renamed as Voronezh Institute of Agriculture, as the all the tsar names were removed from the names of the cities and establishments in SFSR at that time.
In 1967 Voronezh State Agricultural Institute was named after its first rector K.D. Glinka.
On January 11, 1991 Voronezh State Agricultural Institute became Voronezh State Agricultural University n.a. K.D. Glinka.
On May 23, 2011, by order of Ministry of Agriculture, our university got back its historic name, Voronezh State Agricultural University named after Emperor Peter the Great.
Back in 1912, the Royal Government bought out over 800 ha of private lands and handed them over for training and research to the newly-established University.
Research and production complex of the University kept expanding. In 1962 a training farm “Berezovsky” located in Ramonsky district 30 kilometers away from the University campus with the area of 7500 ha, was established.
Over 80 thousand specialists graduated from our University during the past century.
The past and the present of our University are inextricably connected with the history of our country: the First and the Second World Wars, the October Revolution 1917, the Civil War, the Collectivization, purges, the Great Patriotic War, post-war restoration, modern history. You can get more information on the history of our University in the VSAU History Museum, on this site and from the books.
At present, Voronezh State Agricultural University n.a. Peter the Great is one of the largest agricultural universities of Russia, as well as the research, educational and cultural center of the Black Earth Region. It is also one of the leaders in the sphere of international cooperation: the University has partners in more than 25 countries.
More than 15,000 students studying at the University can choose from 19 majors, 30 specializations and 52 qualifications. Post-graduate students can choose from 36 specializations. The total number of the staff is more than 1,400, including 664 teachers (of which 440 have Candidates’ (PhD) or Doctors’ degrees and 105 hold Professors’ posts).
The University houses 8 faculties (of Rural Engineering, Agricultural Science, Agricultural Chemistry and Ecology, Accounting and Finance, Veterinary Science and Animal Breeding, Humanities and Law, Land Survey, Technology and Merchandising, Economy and Management), two institutes and a Professional Development School, 8 boards, 12 branches and 48 farms, an exhibition center.
The team of the University headed by the Rector created a new program of strategic development and has already started its realization. The main objective of the program is to make Voronezh State Agricultural University a leader in the Russian market of agricultural education.